In our current world technology and innovation transforms extremely quickly, and this is readily apparent in the extremely rapid rise in the abundance and power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). So many different systems and software now rely on some sort of AI to improve their products and services, and it all seemingly came out of nowhere. So many aspects of our lives have been revolutionized by AI and ML seemingly overnight, but what exactly are they, and what is in store for their future? What impacts could they have on our careers or education, nad how might society be impacted as a whole?
Artificial Intelligence, in broad terms, is the creation of computer systems and algorithms that allow machines to simulate human-like intelligence, which includes difficult to mimic aspects like problem solving and learning. A certain aspect of AI is Machine Learning, where AI and computers are given the opportunity and ability to learn from data, and adapt to different situations, as well as being able to perform a task that would usually require human problem-solving. What ML does is allows AI to recognize and learn patterns, make decisions, and get better over time. There are many different types of ML subsets and methods that can be used to ‘train’ AI, and some different types are tailored specifically for what type of tasks the AI will be expected to complete.
There is a phenomenal amount of potential for AI and ML in the coming years, and in the coming years there are some key evolutions that can be expected:
- Increased Personalization — This one has increasingly become more widespread over the years, and AI will presumably continue to become more precise and refined at tailoring user experiences to their needs.
- Enhanced Data Analysis — AI has started to and will continue to give organizations the ability to extract critical information from huge amounts of data, helping guide their decision-making in various different aspects.
- Revolutionizing Healthcare — Treatment recommendations, AI-guided diagnosis, and drug/medicine discovery and development will presumable become very common, hopefully leading to much more accurate and effective healthcare.
- Enhancing Creativity — We’ve already seen it in recent years, with AI-generated images and AI-generated voices being a new trend on the internet in recent months. It’s easy to surmise that this technology would continue to grow and improve with more development from its already astonishing levels.
- Cybersecurity — As AI improves and adapts, critical infrastructure or data could soon be protected by AI-driven security systems, able to monitor and detect cyber threats on a massive scale.
- Autonomous Vehicles — Self-driving cars already rely heavily on AI for their split-second decision making skills, and undoubtedly this technology will continue to improve throughout the years and get more refined. In addition, some companies are already experimenting with the concept of drone-based delivery for efficient delivery services.
These are just some of the extremely long list of possibilities for what AI could do in the coming years. Another key factor in the development of AI will be the ethical usage and responsible development of these emerging technologies.
With Machine Learning at the wheel, AI will continue to influence our daily lives, and the impact on our education and work could be spectacular.
- Education — AI offers so many potential benefits to schooling, from concepts like personalized learning which could help cater educations to individual student requirements, to AI-assisted teaching which could help improve a teacher’s methods, as well as track and guide a student’s progress through their education.
- Careers — AI has many different expected effects on our workforce in the coming years. Automation will be a big topic for the foreseeable future, with many people concerned that AI could potentially replace thousands of jobs in a relatively short timeframe. AI is also sure to increase efficiency in other aspects of the workforce, like in business, education, healthcare, and even potentially in governmental positions.
These developments and changes brought on by AI and Machine Learning capabilities will be multifaceted. Some of the positives include an increase in quality of life, a massive boost to efficiency and productivity, and presumably even further advancements in science and technology. However, some of the downsides could be things such as a growing dependence on technology, an increase in job displacement, as well as privacy, security, and ethical concerns to all take into account.
In conclusion, it is my personal opinion that AI and ML are undoubtedly poised to completely change our society as a whole, from our work, to our school, to our leisure. These rapidly developing changes can be just as scary as they are exciting!